Christmas craft is a great way to spened some creative time with the kids during the holiday period. This handprint Santa Salt Dough Ornament is a fun project for children of all ages and could even make a keepsake or gift for family and friends!
What you will need
- 1 cup of all purpose flour
- 1/2 a cup of salt
- 1/4 cup of warm water
- Note: the dough should not be sticky
- Craft paints and brushes
- Wax paper
- Butter knife
- Your childs hand to make the Santa!
- Put the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead it to remove bubbles until it becomes smooth.
- Cut a piece of the dough, roll it into a ball and flatten out on the wax paper.
- Sprinkle some flour onto the dough and the palm of the childs hand to prevent sticking.
- Press the hand firmly down into the dough and lift carefully so as not to disturb the handprint. Using the butter knife go around the edges to create the border.
- Using a skewer or something similar create a small hole at the top of the Santa. You can thread ribbon through this hole once the Santa is complete in order to hang your ornament.
- Place the dough handprint in the microwave for 15 seconds, repeat then heat again for 20 seconds.
- Continue this process until the dough starts to become dry and change colour.
- Start to paint your Santa onto the handprint only if the dough is starting to become hard, it will continue to harden and dry overnight.