Our Favourite Children's Books at Kids Club
September 4, 2023
Article Written By:
Marketing Executive at Kids Club
Former Early Childhood Educator and a mum to 2 beautiful and very active boys
Curious to know which children’s books have captured the hearts of young readers? Here I plan to uncover some of the most well-loved and favourite children’s books where imagination knows no bounds.
Nurturing a lifelong passion for reading commences in those precious early years, and I wholeheartedly encourage you to embark on reading journeys with your child, as explored in my previous article “The Benefits of Reading to your Child.”
I also understand the overwhelming quest to find the perfect children’s book capable of igniting your little one’s imagination. With endless choices —ranging from sturdy board books to beautifully bound hardcovers, from interactive tales to sensory-rich experiences—it’s natural to wonder “where do I begin?”
Guided by Experience and Expertise
Drawing from my years of experience as an Educator and my role as a mother, I’ve embarked on a mission to curate a collection that resonates with young minds, especially in the early years from birth to 5 years.
To ensure a well-rounded perspective, I’ve also tapped into insights from our Kids Club centres, where they also share their favourite children’s books from across our rooms. The result is a thoughtfully crafted selection of the top 30 best children’s books which encompasses timeless classics, interactive tales and engaging educational narratives.
As you read through the handpicked list of our favourite children’s books, we hope this selection aims to ease the challenge of finding that perfect book to snuggle up with and read.
Kids Club Top 30 Children's Books
- ‘We’re Going on a Bear Hunt’ by Michael Rosen and Helen Oxenbury
- ‘On The Farm’ by Axel Scheffler
- ‘The Wheels on the Bus’ by Mandy Foot
- ‘Where is the Green Sheep’ by Mem Fox and Judy Horacek
- ‘Piranhas Don’t Eat Bananas’ by Aaron Blabey
6. ‘The Very Hungry Caterpillar’ by Eric Carle is a personal favourite, as read by my son, Kaiden.
9. ‘Dear Zoo’ by Rod Campbell
10. ‘Room on the Broom’ by Julia Donaldson
11. ‘Wombat Stew’ by Marcia K Vaughan and Pamela Lofts
12. ‘Rainbow Fish’ by Marcus Pfister (series available)
13. ‘Do Not Open this Book’ by Andy Lee (series available)
14. ‘I Know a Rhino’ by Charles Fuge
15. ‘Where the Wild Things Are’ by Maurice Sendak
16. ‘The Very Cranky Bear’ by Nick Bland
17. ‘Thats Not My…’ by Fiona Watt and Rachel Wells (series available) both favourites amongst the children at Kids Club Montessori Highfields.
18. ‘Possum Magic’ by Mem Fox
19. ‘Aussie Jingle Bells’ by Colin Buchanan and Nick Bland
20. ‘Dirty Bertie’ by David Roberts
21. ‘Spot’ by Eric Hill (series available)
22. ‘The Book With No Pictures’ by B.J. Novak
23. ‘Ten Little Fingers and Ten Little Toes’ by Mem Fox and Helen Oxenbury
24. ‘Guess How Much I Love You’ by Sam McBratney and Anita Jeram
25. ‘Oh, the Places You’ll Go’ by Dr. Seuss (series available)
26. ‘Tiger’ by Nick Butterworth
27. ‘Hairy Maclary’ by Lynley Dodd (series available)
28. ‘Australia From Dawn to Dusk’ by Brentos
Remember, the world of children’s books is brimming with choices, waiting to be explored. Whether you choose to assemble your own collection from the list above or pay a visit to your local library, the joy of reading awaits.
Your little one’s favourite story might not have made the list, and that’s perfectly okay! Every child’s reading journey is unique and we know that your child’s Educators would love to hear about their beloved tales too.
A Personal Touch
Lastly, consider the charm of gifting books. For birthdays, holidays, or simply as keepsakes, books will always be a timeless treasure. You might even consider a heartwarming tradition—instead of cards, place personal notes within the pages of books. These cherished messages will resonate for years to come, adding a touch of love to every read.
As you explore the pages of these recommended reads, I hope they ignite moments of imagination, shared laughter and cherished memories for you and your little ones.