We’re big fans of cooking activities with children, especially considering they cover 2 of the 4 key pillars we focus on at Kids Club. Namely, Child-Led Learning & Healthy Nutrition.
Getting kids to get eat and consume all their essential nutrients can be tough. At our centres, we find even the fussiest eaters are more likely to eat when they have a sense of group involvement in preparing, sharing and ofcourse eating!
Cooking quick recipes with the little one is a great activity as it not only gives children a sense of involvement and purpose but it allows makes for great quality time.
In this post we’ve hand picked a ‘Weet-bix Slice’ recipe as it’s quick and easy to do and has plenty of opportunity for the little ones to get involved.
Not to mention, it’s also a (relatively) healthy recipe with Weet-bix as the key ingredient. Weet-bix are a fantastic source of fibre, iron, folate and is also low in sugar.
Weet-bix also makes for a filing meal with plenty of healthy carbohydrates to fuel kids with energy. More benefits of Weet-bix here.
- 3 WeetBix crushed
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 125g butter or margarine
- 3/4 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup chocolate buds (for icing)
- It’s a good idea to get everything measured and ready first. Getting your child involved here is also a great opportunity to introduce them measurement, different textures and taste.
- Preheat the over to 180 degrees Celsius & lightly grease a sheet of baking paper and line it in a tray
- Get your little one started on breaking up the biscuits with their hands in a mixing bowl
- Mix the biscuits with the flour, coconut and sugar
- Stir in the butter
- Add mixture into the tray, evening it out with a spoon & bake for around 25 minutes at 180C (356F)
- Whilst you wait for the slice to cool, melt the chocolate and obtain the helpful service of your little one to help smooth the chocolate over the batch.
This will no doubt be a messy endeavour but that’s where the learning happens Every little master chef starts somewhere!
If you want to learn more, call Kids Club Early Childhood Learning Centres or book a tour now of your closest Kids Club Early Learning Centre, click here to view your closest Centre.
As the leading provider of early childhood care in Australia we always put your child first. We are committed to 7 National Quality Standards.